Wednesday, April 16, 2008

How to Reach Peak Performance

My father encouraged me to practice the piano by telling me stories about the virtuoso Ignacy Paderewski.
“If I miss a day of practice,” the great pianist said, “I can tell it.
”If I miss two days, my colleagues in the orchestra can tell it.
”And if I miss three days, the audience can tell it.”
Even a nine-year-old child, struggling to master the keys with tiny but growing fingers, understood that story.
Of the gifts my father gave, among the best were his stories about successful people and what they demanded of themselves.
All of us have seen exceptional people achieve exceptional results.
In truth, they are all fairly ordinary folks like the rest of us.
Michael Jordan practiced at the arena hours before a game.
Tiger Woods, even after a tournament, was on the practice green.
Top performers put in hours of “deliberate practice”.
They set specific goals for themselves.
They solicit immediate feedback from coaches and mentors.
They constantly push themselves, stretching to reach higher levels.
Where does your passion lie?
Where do you feel compelled to excel?
What price are you willing to pay to reach that summit?
How committed are you to making that happen?
For more on reaching peak performance, go to:
http://www.jerrybellune.com/success-strategies.htm
Click on “Reaching Peak Performance”.

No comments: