Thursday, April 10, 2008

Why write a book?

I believe there's a book inside all of us.

I just happen to have several in me impatiently waiting to get out.

Our son Mark, a highly talented journalist, interviewed me yesterday about my new book. It's called "Your Life's Great Purpose: Set Sail for the Adventure of Your Life".

I thought you might enjoy part of the exchange between two journalists a generation apart.

Mark's Q. What prompted the idea for this book?

A. Many of us are concerned over what appears to be a growing involvement among young people with drugs, gangs and violence. I started writing about making hard but good choices and choosing smart options back in January 2007 in our Success Strategies eLetters. The series talked about turning dreams into goals, planning your life in eight major areas — spiritual, mental, physical, family, community, financial, career and fun. People began to tell others about the series. Our subscribers rose to 3,000 plus and is still growing. We are discussing adding additional eLetters on Leadership, Smart Business Practices and Marketing and Sales.

Mark's Q. What do you hope the reader will take away from reading this book?

A. A recognition of their God-given talents, skills and opportunities, a realization of their great purpose in life, a plan for the future, the determination to succeed in all that they want to achieve, to live an exciting and adventurous life and the decision to build and leave a legacy for a better world. That’s what I’m trying to do in my own life and I want to see more people have that opportunity.

Mark's Q. How did you research this book and what personal learnings do you share with the reader?

A. The book contains many personal stories and many other stories that friends have shared about their own lessons in life. I feel that I have been researching this book for more than 50 years, thinking about my own mistakes and what they could teach me — and about a few personal triumphs and successes that suggested I wasn’t a completely hopeless klutz.

Mark's Q. Were there any stumbling blocks in creating this text and how, if so, did you overcome them?

A. The writing was the fun part. I would get up many mornings at 2, 3 or 4 a.m. and go down and crank up my laptop because God was talking in my head and telling me to go write. When I would sit down, I felt I was in "the zone" and He was guiding my thoughts and my fingers on the keys. I am not a particularly mystical or religious person so this may soiund strange coming from me. But I knew He was showing me the way.

The editing, design and formatting of the book was less fun but I knew it had to be done. If I ever get where I can contract this part out to someone else, you can bet I’ll seriously consider it.

If you are interested in this book, an eCopy is available at http://www.jerrybellune.com/. We plan to make personally autographed print copies available as soon as they arrive from our printer in the next few weeks. They make great graduation, birthday or wedding gifts, if I may modestly say so.

No comments: