Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Contract time, expand productivity

Last time we talked about the Fog Index and clear writing.
Today we’ll talk about increasing your productivity.
Lots of us complain about having too little time for everything.
That may be true. But we can sometimes have too much time.
Being raised by workaholics, I grew up with a sense of urgency.
As an infantryman, I paid my dues in the mud and snow.
But then the Army gave me a job running a warehouse.
We spent most of the day loading and unloading trucks.
But we had loads of downtime between trucks.
I began to keep an agenda of projects to do each day.
Several skilled Korean carpenters worked with me.
We spent downtime improving our buildings.
We found an hour each day for language lessons.
I taught them English and they taught me Korean.
We were never idle and the day passed swiftly.
We learned to contract time and expand productivity.
The troops aren’t happy when they have nothing to do.
Leaders make sure their people are busy and productive.
For more on leadership, please click here.

No comments: