Wednesday, May 14, 2008

3 secrets of advertising that sells

It took me many years to find out what makes ads work.
Here is what I learned in the trenches the hard way.
• Ads that sell explain benefits, not just features.
Don’t list features and assume the prospect will understand.
An ad that says cell phones take photos is selling features.
The ad should show the benefits of a camera in your phone.
For example, you can send vacation photos home to your friends.
Remember: If it’s about the product, it’s a feature.
If it’s about the customer, it’s a benefit.
• Ads that sell put your prospects in the picture.
They talk to him from his perspective.
Don’t just say "This is the best cell phone on the market".
Say: "Enjoy the benefits of the market’s best cell phone".
And show them what they can do with it.
Cell phones are full of benefits. It’s what gives them value.
• Ads that sell build credibility and trust.
I received an offer for a book on diabetes the other day.
I don’t have diabetes but I might get it.
The offer said if dissatisfied I could return the book.
It said I could return it even 20 years from now.
Return it for a full refund, no questions asked.
That’s an advertiser with confidence in his product.
Confidence built trust in my mind with:
• Guarantees and warranties.
• No-risk return policies if dissatisfied in any way.
• Testimonials from satisfied customers.
• The publisher’s reputation and length of time in business.
It’s neither rocket science nor brain surgery.
For more on this, see http://www.jerrybellune.com/.
Click on Jerry’s Books to order my sales workbook.
It’s called "How to Peel a Green Banana".
Its strategies will help you sell more prospects.
Tomorrow: Fairness in public education.

No comments: