Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Good habits vs. bad habits

More than 500 high school students heard my message last week.
It was an eye-opening experience for me and perhaps for them.
One’s grandfather said it was an eye opener for his grandson.
Schools are nothing like they were in my day.
TV had not been invented. Now there are TVs in every room.
Students regularly present school news by closed circuit.
In my school days, Al Gore had not yet invented the Internet.
Laptops and PCs are everywhere in today’s classrooms.
Here’s a story I shared with them about choices and habits.
My early military school days were marked with constant fights.
One of my classmates stabbed me with a pencil. I still have the scar.
I’m sure he has not forgotten how I retaliated. I haven’t.
They tested me. Before long I was atop the demerit list.
That meant no weekends in town. I was stuck in detention.
One of my coaches taught me the error of my ways.
Make good choices, he counseled. They are easier to live with.
Develop good habits. They’re harder to develop, easier to live with.
Do your homework. Quit fighting. Stay out of trouble.
Bad habits are easy to develop. Harder to live with.
Smoking. Drinking beer. Ignoring your school work.
Good habits win rewards. Bad habits bring consequences.
But for that coach, I may have been kicked out of school.
I asked them to teach that to their younger brothers and sisters.
And be conscious that what they do, the younger ones will do.
You are already a leader to younger ones who look up to you.
Being "cool" is setting an example that they can safely follow.
If you have not been back to school recently, think about it.
Schools are eager for guest speakers to talk about the real world.
To inspire their students. To extend their education.
You could make a difference in the lives of many young people.
To comment on this blog, please click on "comment" below.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great story by master story teller, Jerry Bellune. I had my share of fights, too. We were four brothers, up on the hill; yes, we were a band of brothers; if you mess with one, you had to deal with the other "bruders."

Whether in the local Boy's Club, the paper routes, or going off to school, we had to fight our way through the various ethnic enclaves. Remember, these were the days of WW II, and somehow because we were Lutheran, of German descent, we were automatically bad guys, and so slanderous attack, synister whispers of "Fifth Columm", actual physical battles could be expected on particular streets.

There were Polish areas, Italian enclaves, French streets, and as Americans of German descent, due to newspaper and radio propagandizing, we were made into bad guy stereotypes, and we had better be prepared to use our fists if bullies confronted us.

Somehow, many of us became outstanding students and great athletes, and we were constantly encouraged never to embarass our home, church, or community, and by God, if you got in trouble with the school, you could expect additional correction in your home, and other places.

Good habits, were given by coaches, teachers, and other authority figures; and you had batter not mess up. Call it whatever you wish, this was good discipline, and great conditioning for eventual military, community, and world wide service; but...those habits, good habits were a gift of the total community, and while none of us walked on water, I am grateful for the tough discipline and behavior patterns instilled during that day. I and my brothers, and others, owe all of these authority figures a giant debt which we are still attempting to pay off in contonual service to the various communities in which we and I are called to serve. Good habits. You can bet the ranch that good habits instilled in the growing years stay with a person their entire life.

Dr. Albert E. Jabs
Delegate State GOP Convention, 2009

Dear Jerry Blume, please feel free to use in whatever venue you desire. aej