Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Discover your life’s purpose

Did you know what you wanted to become when you were 11?
Erik Dommers does. He wants to be a paleontologist.
In case you don’t know, paleontologists study prehistoric life.
Will Finkelstein does, too. He wants to write comedy for TV.
Just watching people will give him plenty of material.
Jess Catoe, who’s 15, is already a web site designer.
She has created four sites, logos, business cards and brochures.
Her current passion is to fly an F16 jet.
These young people are students at the Barclay School.
Gillian Barclay-Smith, the founder, invited me to speak to them.
They sat on the floor in the Sherlock Holmes Room.
My creaky knees were given the honor of the couch.
We talked about Sherlock Holmes and the man who created him.
We talked about writing, journalism and some of my adventures.
It’s refreshing to see young people who know their purpose.
I hope you have already found yours.
If not, keep looking. You’ll find it.
For help finding yours, please click here.
Watch the video about the book and make a comment.
Just click on "comment" below.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dreams can be a part of your life plan if you have enthusiasm and determination. When I was 9 I wanted to be a writer and even wrote a couple of stories. When I was 11 I was obsessed with dinosaurs and wanted to be a paleontologist. At the age of 15 I realized that I was born to be a rock star and…the easiest way to become it is to start working as a reporter and meet the right people who could help me.

Now I am 32 and life is connected with journalism – as I wisely planned when I was a teenager. My dream to become a rock star helped me to learn English that turned out to be great investment. It influenced my carrier a lot and let me make so many good friends. And you know, since I already have one story published I may end as a writer one day.

But what about dinosaurs? - You may ask. They are great because they helped to develop my imagination. But today I believe the best place to meet them is in the museums and on the screen of TV.